Wearing the Cape
Cape (plural capes): literally, a sleeveless garment hanging from the neck over the back and shoulders; figuratively, a superhuman who has chosen to act as a superhero. Synonyms: hero, mask, super, superhero. Connotations: ‘cape’ is used as both a familiar and derogatory term for superheroes, who often casually refer to themselves as capes but generally consider it a demeaning term when applied to them by the press.
Barlow’s Guide to Superhumans
What if the world changed?
Ten years ago, everything did. The world we knew ended with The Event and the appearance of hundreds, thousands of superhuman individuals—ordinary men and women empowered in the blink of an eye, between one breath and the next, transformed or given extraordinary gifts. With this gamebook, you can take on the roll of a superhuman—a breakthrough—who has chosen to “wear the cape” and become a superhero. Or at least come as close to one as you can in a world with legal institutions that are adverse to the idea of super-powered vigilantes!
Wearing the Cape
In 2011, Marion G. Harmon indie-published Wearing the Cape, a superhero novel. WtC was enthusiastically received by fans looking for good superhero fiction, and it and its six sequels have consistently been ranked in the top of their genre category. The books have introduced Astra, Artemis, and other “capes” to a growing legion of fans. Many of these fans are also avid superhero RPG gamers, who expressed a keen interest in seeing the world of the books given its own sourcebook or gamebook. And so…
Wearing the Cape: The Roleplaying Game
Built on the FATE CORE system by Evil Hat Productions, Wearing the Cape: The Roleplaying Game uses an open system of Aspects, Ratings, and Stunts to describe any conceivable character and superhuman power, as well as organizations, cities, regions, and any kind of environment the heroes may encounter. 220 pages of gamebook, with 30 dense pages of Post-Event World background to provide endless ideas for locations and threats, Wearing the Cape: The Roleplaying Game is a gateway for anyone who wishes to adventure in the world of the novels, or who wishes to make a world of their own!
2 in stock
Wearing the Cape: the Roleplaying Game is the new superhero RPG for adventuring in the Post-Event Universe of the Wearing the Cape series by M.G.Harmon. Built on the award-winning Fate System, WtC allows players to take on the roles of their favorite Sentinels or create their own breakthrough-powered heroes.
Wearing the Cape: the Roleplaying Game includes:
- A full campaign background, describing the Post-Event world in enough detail that players will be able to play Crisis Aid and Intervention capes, agency capes, Department of Superhuman Affairs agents, vigilantes, and even supervillains.
- A character-creation system capable of handling capes and normals, at all power-levels from street-heroes to A Class superhero celebrities.
- A combat system for playing out the lethal breakthrough-powered fights experienced in the books.
- A conflict system that allows hero’s actions to make their world a better place.
- A system for describing organizations, from Crisis Aid and Intervention teams to national governments, as characters that can interact with the heroes.
- Descriptions of the most common power-types in the Post-Event Era, full hero files for the Chicago Sentinels as they appear in the Wearing the Cape books, and an open system for creating more powers easily.
- An advice chapter on how to both play superheroes and design adventures for them.